The Catawba County Library is an excellent resource for your job and career development. Beyond one-on-one help from our staff, we partner with NCWorks, CVCC, and local businesses to help you find, apply, and prepare for a job.
Train to be job-ready in weeks, not years.
Catawba County Library System is providing FREE access to Interplay Learning SkillMill, the world’s FIRST online, on-demand skilled trades training catalog featuring VR and 3D simulations to develop on-the-job skills quickly and efficiently, building better careers and better lives for the essential skilled trades.
Sign up by clicking on this SkillMill button.
After registering you will be contacted by a program coordinator who will send you an introduction to the Interplay Platform and information how how to log in, access, and download course modules.
You will have access to the SkillMill for four weeks at at time. If no one else is waiting your session may be renewed. If you have to stop in the middle of a program all of your progress will be saved for one year.
Once you have signed up and gotten a user id and password you will:
1. Download the Interplay Learning SkillMill app onto your device.
2. Sign in to the Interplay Learning SkillMill software.
3. Pick a topic from catalog -HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical Repairs, and Appliances
4. Take an assessment of your knowledge on that topic.
5. Complete recommended courses for your topic by watching short videos.
6. Complete knowledge checks, hands on practice with 3D or virtual reality simulations.
7. Collect certificates for completing courses.
Click the SkillMill button to get started on your next career.
- HVAC -Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning including Cooling Basics, Electricity, Service Technician
- Commercial HVAC including EPA 608 Prep, Centrifugal Pumps, Rooftops, Chillers, and Safety
- Solar Sales Professional, Solar Maintenance and Diagnostics, and Solar Installer Level 1
- Plumbing including Water Heater Professional, Fixture Maintenance and Troubleshooting and Pipe Repair Professional
- Electrical including Electrical and Controls, Electrical Installation Prep, Electrical Maintenance and Troubleshooting and Circut Labs
- Multi-family Facility Maintenance including Service Manager, Grounds Housekeeping, and HVAC Fundamentals
- Facilities Maintenance including Plumbing, HVAC, EPA 608 Prep, Safety and Electrical
- Appliances including fundamentals, Electrical and Controls, Circuit Labs, Water Heater Professional
- Residential Construction including Landscaping Basics, Framing Floors, Framing Exterior Walls, Windows and Doors, Interior Finishing floors, drywall and trim.
The library has laptop computers, tablets and Wi-Fi hotspots that you can borrow to complete the SkillMill training.
Please note you must be 18 years or older and a Catawba County resident in order to borrow technology items.
Interplay Learning's SkillMill is accredited with North American Technician Excellence (NATE), the nation’s largest non-profit certification organization for heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration technicians for over 20 years.
You can also earn continuing education credits certified by International Accreditors of Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP), the leading certification organization for solar energy professionals.
1. If I don't complete the class before the 4 weeks is up, what happens to all of my progress?
Your individual progress will be saved on the Interplay Learning Software for up to one year. If you run out of time you can sign back up to use the software again and the system will keep all of your details. The system will also award printable certificates of completion as you progress.
2. How do I access the 3D and virtual reality (VR) simulations?
The 3D simulations are accessed from your computer or tablet and can be accessed and used from any location.
The Virtual Reality simulations require a VR headset. If you want to try the VR simulations you need to schedule an apppointment with a librarian to use the VR equipment at one of our seven library locations.
NCWorks is all about putting North Carolina back to work by connecting people to jobs and employers with the talented workers they need to thrive.
On an ongoing basis, the library partners with NCWorks to help residents find jobs that fit their interests and skill sets. The organization's knowledgeable, helpful staff can help you search, apply, and prepare for your new career.
Click here to visit the NCWorks job site, or visit their location in Conover Station, which is just downstairs from the Conover Branch Library.
Click here to visit the Goodwill Job website
Click here to visit the NCLive website and choose Career, Jobs, and Test Preparation
Our staff is trained and ready to help you find the job you need. We can help you search online for job listings, submit online applications, get ready for an interview, create a new resume or brush up an old one.
It’s not uncommon for a community member to excitedly come into one of our locations to tell our staff that they landed a job and to express their thanks for the help they received at the library.