LITeracy Trails & Little Free Libraries
LITeracy Trails (LIT = literature, information, and technology) offer an innovative, delightful way to enjoy reading and the outdoors at the same time. Since children learn to talk, read, and write through social experiences, these skills often develop in real-life settings through positive interactions with engaging materials. LITeracy stations bring reading, technology, and fitness activities to the forefront as people connect to the stories in their own ways!
Each trail consists of 18 individual stations that trace the storyline of different children’s books while also offering opportunities for exercise and further exploration. Featured books are changed on a quarterly basis.
Catawba County hosts LITeracy Trails at four local parks and historical attractions:
- Bakers Mountain Park (6680 Bakers Mountain Road, Hickory, NC 28602)
- Bunker Hill Covered Bridge (4160 US Hwy 70, Claremont, NC 28610)
- Murray's Mill Historic Site (1489 Murray's Mill Road, Catawba NC 28609)
- St. Stephens Park & Dog Park (2247 36th Ave NE, Hickory, NC 28601)
View a map of the county's LITeracy Trails, Little Free Libraries, and Catawba County Library locations.
Little Free Libraries
The Catawba County Library also helps maintain a variety of Little Free Library book exchanges throughout the county. The brightly decorated, freestanding units are filled with books for children and adults, and the materials are free for anyone interested. These “take a book, return a book” sharing boxes play an essential role in learning by providing 24/7 access to books and encouraging a love of reading!
Books may be replaced in the Little Free Libraries once they've been enjoyed, or residents may stock the Little Free Libraries with gently used materials they no longer need.
Catawba County's Little Free Libraries are available at the following locations:
- Catawba County Partnership for Children (738 4th St SW, Hickory, NC 28602)
- Centro Latino (2259 12th Ave NE, Hickory, NC 28601 – at St. Stephens Lutheran Church ELCA)
- Hickory Foundation YMCA (701 1st St NW, Hickory, NC 28601)
- Kiwanis Park – Zahra Baker Playground (805 6th St SE, Hickory, NC 28602)
- Ross Centre at Ridgecrest Apartments (2830 12th Ave SE, Hickory, NC 28602)
- Walmart (2525 US Hwy 70 SE, Hickory, NC 28602)