Catawba County Public Health encourages residents to prepare for emergencies and disasters and works to prepare and protect the community as a whole through planning, drills and more. Linked with county, regional, state, and national resources, we receive up-to-date information on any biological or communicable disease occurrence that could affect your health. When the need arises for critical health information, you can depend on Public Health to be prepared to respond.

During certain Public Health emergencies, a Point of Dispensing (POD) site may be used to distribute medications to residents. Become familiar with what a POD is by reading about it or watching this video.

Individuals can also prepare for disasters by assembling an emergency kit including health care supplies, food, water and more. Find a list of recommended supplies here. Families should also make their own emergency plans and should get informed to know when a disaster might strike.

North Carolina has its own website dedicated to preparing residents for emergencies. Likewise, Catawba County has plans for sheltering and evacuations.

During an emergency, Catawba County Emergency Services will send out phone and text alerts. Want to be on the alert list? Sign up here.

Want to volunteer to help in an emergency? Contact Catawba County United Way for volunteer opportunities. Call 828-327-6851 or go to the United Way's web site.

Nuclear incidents: Part of Catawba County is in the Emergency Planning Zone for McGuire Nuclear Power Plant. Check out the map to see if you live in the Emergency Planning Zone and learn more about preparing for a nuclear emergency.

Radiation Emergencies: What Should I Do?

Learn what Potassium Iodide (KI) is

Common myths about nuclear energy

For more information, including how to get Potassium Iodide (KI) pills, call (828) 695-5815

CDC Public Response Service
English: (888) 246-2675
Spanish: (888) 246-2857
TTY: (866) 274-2646

N.C. DHHS CARE-LINE Information and Referral Service
English and Spanish: (800) 662-7030
TTY: (877) 452-2514