The Catawba County Detention Facility is located on the Catawba County Government Campus in Newton. The original facility was built in 1980 with a capacity of 83 inmates. A major expansion was completed in 2007 which added 176 beds, a booking area, medical area, and an industrial kitchen. The most recent expansion in 2021 increased the capacity to 579 inmates. The facility is staffed by approximately 100 dedicated employees who are tasked with the safety and security of the inmates housed at the Detention Facility.
Frequently Asked Questions
This Facility has a ZERO tolerance for sexual abuse and sexual assault
The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 was enacted by Congress to address the problem of sexual abuse or persons in the custody of U.S. Confinement Facilities. The Catawba County Detention Center has a zero-tolerance policy for the incidence of inmate sexual abuse and sexual harassment. This applies to both inmate-on-inmate sexual abuse and staff sexual misconduct. Alert a member of the jail staff immediately if you feel you have been sexually assaulted during incarceration. They will contact the appropriate person to conduct the investigation. You may also fill out your request on the Kiosk. Your privacy will be protected to the fullest extent during any investigation. A Sexual Abuse hotline is available free of charge through our Pay-tel phone system inside the blocks by dialing 8.
If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual abuse or harassment inside the jail, report it immediately by calling 828-465-8999 and asking for the PREA Coordinator or Jail Administrator. We also have a Complaint Form you can fill out and send to 100 Government Drive Dept. E Newton NC 28658 ATTN: PREA Coordinator or Jail Administrator.
All reports of sexual assault and sexual harassment will beinvestigated.
If you or a family member has been assaulted inside the facility, do not change your clothes, brush your teeth, shower, wash your hands, or use the restroom. You may destroy important evidence which can be collected to help with the investigation.
We want everyone to feel safe while at the Catawba County Detention Facility. If you make a report and feel you are being retaliated against for making the report, please let us know immediately. Retaliation WILL NOT be tolerated.
Both Onsite and Remote Video Visits must be scheduled by going toiwebvisit.com
ONSITE VISITATION hours are Monday-Friday 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm and Saturday-Sunday 8:00 am-11:00 am, 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm.
· Visitation must be scheduled a minimum of one day in advance
· Visitors who do not arrive for the scheduled time will forfeit the weekly visit
· You must provide photo ID when you arrive for your visit.
· Inmates are allowed one (1) fifteen-minute visit per week
· Remote visits must be scheduled a minimum of one day in advance
· Visitation hours are based on housing location and availability is shown on iwebvisit.com
· Remote visits are 15 minutes each and inmates are allowed up to 4 per day
· Remote visitation rules are strictly enforced
· To request confidential status, please go here for instructions
· Once approved for confidential status, visitors may schedule remote and onsite video visits daily from 8:00 am – 10:00 am and 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
· Onsite face-to-face visits are arranged by the jail and are available daily from 7:00 am – 5:00 pm
You may write a letter to the inmate at the address below.
Catawba County Detention Facility
PO Box 385
Newton NC 28658
Letters must be written on white paper (except legal mail). No glitter, crayon or colored drawings will be accepted. ALL routine mail will be scanned and viewable by the inmate on the inmate kiosk. Any greeting cards sent to an inmate will be scanned and viewable on the inmate kiosk. The card will be placed in the inmate's locker.
The inmate will not be given any incoming general mail envelopes. Return addresses should be written in the body of the letter as well as on the envelope.
The Sheriff's Office is not responsible for mail items that do not arrive at our facility or items sent out once the item leaves our facility.
Photos will not be accepted in person or by mail. Photos may be sent electronically to the inmate by visiting www.paytel.com
As inmates are booked into jail, the inmates are added to the “Who’s in Jail” page of our website. Visit http://injail.catawbacountync.gov/WhosInJail/ for more information.
Telephone service is provided by Pay-tel. Visit www.paytel.com to set up an account.
Inmates who are completing a sentence will know the day that they are scheduled to be released. The exact time may vary. There is a phone available to the inmate in our lobby that he/she may use to contact you upon their release.
- Inmate property will only be released between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm. ** Inmate funds will not be released **
- Inmates must sign a release prior to the property being released.
- Inmate clothing will not be released.
- You may mail a US Postal Service or bank money order to the inmate.
- You may deposit money in the ATM in the Detention Facility lobby. The ATM accepts cash and credit cards.
- Visit www.jailpackstore.com
- Yes. Visit www.jailpackstore.com for more information.
- You may bring medications (in original containers), or prescription glasses
- No books may be brought to the front desk or mailed to the facility
- Numerous books and other reading material is available at no cost on the inmate tablets
Click here to see the latest outside medical expenses for the facility.
- Magistrate’s Office: 828 695-6119 (Newton) 828 327-9093 (Hickory)
- District Attorney’s Office: 828 695-6110
- Clerk of Court: 828 695-6100
- Probation: 828 466-5653
- Catawba County Sheriff’s Office: 828 464-5241
- Newton Police Dept: 828 465-7430
- Hickory Police Dept: 828 328-5551
- Conover Police Dept: 828 464-4698
- Claremont Police Dept: 828 459-7865
Visit http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/calendars/CriminalQuery.html, where you can search for court dates in any North Carolina county.
You may sign up for court date notifications at https://www3.nccourts.org/onlineservices/notifications/menu.sp