Catawba County News
Christmas Tree Recycling
Published: December 22, 2021
Wondering what you'll do with your Christmas tree and other natural decorations after the holiday season is over? Catawba County's Landfill staff, in cooperation with Republic Services, has an answer for you. Christmas trees and other natural decorations will be accepted curbside and at all five Solid Waste Convenience Centers located around Catawba County from December 26, 2020 through January 15, 2021. Please remove all ornaments, bases, or other decorations before recycling.
Residents who have curbside collection service with Republic Services may put their used Christmas tree out with their garbage on their curbside collection day. Trees will be picked up by a separate Republic Services truck.
Republic Services will not operate on Saturday, December 25. Republic Services will resume their regular curbside service schedule on Monday, December 27, 2020.
“Recycling is an easy and environmentally friendly way to dispose of used Christmas trees,” said Ariel Kanupp, Catawba County Utilities and Engineering Department. “By providing this service to its curbside customers, Republic Services makes it as convenient as possible for residents to recycle their trees and other natural decorations.”
Some municipalities in Catawba County are handling tree pickup separately within their boundaries, so residents of municipalities should check with the government office in their city or town to be sure of the schedule and procedure they should follow.
County Solid Waste Convenience Centers will accept Christmas trees and other natural decorations between December 26, 2020 and January 15, 2021 only. Convenience Center locations and regular operating hours are listed below.
- Blackburn Convenience Center, 3864 Rocky Ford Rd, Newton, NC 28658 (across from the Blackburn Landfill), 704-462-2496, Hours of Operation: 10:00am-6:00pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Bethany Church Rd Convenience Center, 2436 Bethany Church Rd, Newton, NC 28658, 828-465-4635, Hours of Operation: 10:00am-6:00pm Tuesday through Saturday.
- Cooksville Convenience Center, 3659 Rhoney Farm Rd, Vale, NC 28168, 704-462-1497, Hours of Operation: 8:00am-6:00pm Friday and Saturday.
- Oxford Convenience Center, 4637 Lookout Dam Rd, Catawba, NC 28609, 828-241-3774, Hours of Operation: 10:00am-6:00pm Wednesday through Sunday.
- Sherrills Ford Convenience Center, 8876 Sherrills Ford Rd, Sherrills Ford, NC 28673, 828-478-2248, Hours of Operation: 10:00am-6:00pm Thursday through Sunday.
All Convenience Centers will close on Saturday, December 25, 2021 and Saturday, January 1, 2022.
Christmas trees are always accepted at the Blackburn Construction and Demolition Landfill, which will be closed Friday, December 24, Saturday, December 25, and Monday, December 27. The Blackburn Construction and Demolition Landfill will resume the regular schedule on Tuesday, December 28. For more information, visit the County’s Solid Waste website at www.catawbacountync.gov/county-services/utilities-and-engineering.