Catawba County News
Catawba County 101: Sheriff's Office
Published: December 14, 2023
MAKING. LIVING. BETTER: SHERIFF’S OFFICE - COMMUNITY RELATIONS & SUPPORT SERVICES DIVISION
How do you achieve your mission – what services are offered?
- Deputy in every (Catawba County Schools) School & CVCC (Maiden PD does their 3 schools)
- Lake Norman Marine Patrol
- Concealed Handgun Permits & Fingerprinting
- Law Enforcement Records
- Social Media
- Are You OK?- CARE Program
- Project Lifesaver
- Operation Pill Stoppers
- Cadet Program
- Citizens Academy
- Community Watch
- Volunteer and Internships
Who does this department/service area/program serve?
All citizens can sign themselves up for a program or family member in need. All citizens can apply to be a volunteer.
Students can apply for internships and cadet program. SROs serve students in school. All citizens can apply for a CHP or
obtain their fingerprints.
How and where are services delivered?
Visit our website for more information: https://www.catawbacountync.gov/sheriff
How many staff members are involved in delivering services?
55 staff members make these programs happen.
How does our community and/or organization benefit from these services?
- Are You OK?-CARE Program is a computerized telephone program provided by the Catawba County Sheriff’s Office for seniors and anyone who is disabled, handicapped or homebound in Catawba County.
- Project Lifesaver is an innovative rapid response program aiding victim’s and families suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and related disorder such as Down syndrome and autism. It is designed to protect wandering patients, give peace of mind to caregivers, families and communities.
- Operation Pill Stoppers is designed to help protect your family and pets against accidental ingestion and help keep our water clean and safe.
- The Catawba County Sheriff’s Office Cadet Program is a career education program providing knowledge and training for young men and women ages 14-18 interested in a career in law enforcement.
- The Catawba County Sheriff’s Office Citizens Academy is an 12-week course meeting at the Sheriff’s Office on Monday nights in the spring and Tuesday nights in the fall from 6:00 p.m.-8:00 pm. Topics and tours include Sheriff’s Office operations, narcotics investigation, crime scene investigation, STAR Team demonstration, courts & court security, District Attorney’s Office, Magistrate’s Office, Judges, Clerk of Court’s Office, Register of Deeds Office, tour of the 911 Communications Center, tour of the Detention Center, Crime Prevention, EMS, Emergency Management, Animal Control, and Fire-Rescue. You must be at least 21 years old with no criminal charges on your record to participate in the Academy. The final meeting is a graduation ceremony and banquet.
- Community Watch is a crime prevention program that involves citizens working with each other and with law enforcement agencies to reduce crime and victimization in their communities.
- The Catawba County Sheriff’s Office offers opportunities for citizens to volunteer their time. We offer unpaid internships for college students studying criminal justice or a related field. We also work with Catawba County Schools to offer internships for high school juniors and seniors interested in a career in law enforcement. Students interested in this internship program should contact their school counselors for more information.
- Every elementary, middle and high school within the Catawba County Schools system has a Deputy Sheriff assigned as a School Resource Officer with the exception of Maiden High, Maiden Middle and Maiden Elementary which are served by Maiden Police Department. The SRO’s serve as mentors & counselors in addition to their law enforcement role. By having a full time deputy assigned to each school they are there on a consistent basis which helps build rapport and build relationships with the students and staff. There are also three deputies assigned as School Resource Officers at Catawba Valley Community College, which includes Challenger High School.
- Records & Gun Permits (Support Services) encompasses the front office staff who are the face to CCSO when citizens come in to our office for various needs.
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter (X), Instagram, Nextdoor, Neighbors, YouTube, and soon to come The Sheriff App!
- Lake Patrol enforces all state and local laws on the water and responds to incidents on land from the water as well. This division has three boats assigned to it that patrol the waters of Lake Norman.