Click to go to Catawba County Home Page

Erosion and Sedimentation Control

There is a Plan Checklist to assist you in preparing your Erosion and Sedimentation Control plans for review. You may also contact the Erosion and SedimentationControl Office at 828-465-8161.

My plans are complete. Now what?

If I am building a house or adding an addition to my house, will I have to get an Erosion Control Permit?
  • Probably not, unless you’re building an extremely large house.
  • If the deed to your property that you are going to build on shows your lot as less than one acre in total size, you definitely aren’t disturbing more than one acre, and would not need an erosion control permit. However, you are responsible for controlling soil erosion on your construction site.
  • When you get your building permit, you will be given information concerning erosion control measures and are required to sign an affidavit acknowledging your compliance.
  • If you have a lot larger than one acre, you should measure just how much you’re going to grade. You may use the "How much ground am I disturbing?" form to calculate the acreage being disturbed by your project, or you may contact the Erosion and Sedimentation Control Office at 828-465-8161. They will assist you in calculating the acreage, answer any questions, and give you a brief step-by-step overview of the process.

How do I figure out what the Fee is?

An erosion control permit is required when you are DISTURBING* more than one acre of soil.

The cost for reviewing erosion control plans is $200, which includes the first acre disturbed. There is an additional cost of $150 per disturbed acre for every acre after the first or any part thereof. Click here for the Erosion Control fee schedule.

If you have a 10-acre disturbance, you would pay the $200 plan review fee plus $150 times the 9-acres remaining = $1,350 for a total of $1,550.

If you have a 4.5-acre disturbance, you would pay the $200 plan review fee plus $150 times the 4-acres remaining = $600 for a total of $800.

If you were disturbing exactly 1-acre, you would pay the $200 plan review fee only.

Less than 1-acre and building a residential dwelling:
No fee is charged because a permit is not required.
Click here for an informational brochure about Residential Erosion Control.
For fees associated with Erosion Contol Express, Plan Review, or Stand Alone Plan Review please check the fee schedule or contact the Permit Center at 828-465-8399.

Why does Catawba County Erosion Control Program cost more than the State's Program?

The County’s Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Program forms a true partnership between the regulatory body and developer/property owner. County staff will respond to complaints and concerns within 1 (one) working day. Plans are reviewed in 10 (ten) days or less with Express Plan Review options. NC DENR (North Carolina Department of Natural Resources) is only in Catawba County 3 (three) days per week; County staff are present every workday and are active partners in all land disturbing activities to ensure water quality and erosion control compliance. The Catawba County Erosion Control program is completely self-supported by users of the program. No tax money or general fund money is used to support the erosion control program.

Who do I call if I see mud in the street near a construction site?

Please call the Catawba County Permit Center at 828-465-8399, and tell the person answering the phone the location of the erosion problem.
  • A county inspector will assess the matter within 1 (one) working day.
  • If a violation is found and documented, a Notice of Violation (NOV) will be imposed on the site.
  • If a construction site is out of compliance, and receives a Notice of Violation, the project may not have any activity, i.e. building inspections, until the NOV re-inspection fine is paid to the Catawba County Finance Department, located on the second floor of the Government Center in Newton. Fines and re-inspection fees may NOT be charged; they must be paid by cash or check.

What's in the County Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Ordinance (Chapter 31)?

The law in North Carolina is that if you disturb any earth at all you need to “take all reasonable measures” to make sure the sediment doesn’t damage adjacent properties. In the case of the Catawba County Ordinance, disturbance of one acre or more requires a formal plan submittal and review. However, just because a construction site is not required to submit a plan does NOT mean that site is exempt from sedimentation control laws. You must take all reasonable measures to keep your soil on your own property, off of roads and adjacent land and out of creeks and waterways.

Jonathon Greer
Jonathan Greer
Utilities & Engineering
Landfill-Project Manager
Phone:(828) 464-6411

map 25 Government Drive
Newton, NC 28658