Catawba County News
Donate to the Book Sale
Published: February 13, 2019
Preparations are already underway for the Catawba County Friends of the Library’s Annual Book Sale. This major fundraiser takes place each August and goes a long way in helping the Library expand its offerings throughout the year. Donations are being accepted now for the book sale.
Clean, gently used books of any genre are welcome, from popular fiction and coffee table books to how-to guides and children’s books. CDs and DVDs are also desirable. Unfortunately, the Library cannot take encyclopedias, condensed books, texbooks, magazines, or dirty or damaged books.
Donations may be dropped off during regular business hours at any branch (Newton, Claremont, Conover, Maiden, Sherrills Ford-Terrell, Southwest, or St. Stephens).
Proceeds from the Annual Book Sale make an impact on Library services in many ways, including:
- hosting headline performers during the annual Summer Learning initiative,
- bringing performing arts series by groups like Hickory Ballet and Performing Arts to all branches,
- supporting community read programs and guest artists,
- hosting receptions for special events,
- offering ear buds, flash drives, tote bags, a coffee bar, and holiday gift baskets to patrons,
- sponsoring Library Legislative Day,
- coordinating ongoing book sales at the Newton, Conover, and Southwest branches, and
- enhancing existing programs with supplemental funding.
Friends of the Library memberships are also available throughout the year. For $10 for an individual, $15 for a family, and $25 for a business, people and organizations can bolster the mission of the Library and demonstrate their own commitment to early literacy, workforce development, lifelong learning, and much more. Members have an integral voice in building Library programs, and they also enjoy local business discounts and special access to Book Sale merchandise.
Monetary donations in support of the Library are also welcome at any time, and they can be given in honor of or in remembrance of someone. Businesses and organizations are also encouraged to consider the library for annual gifting or volunteering goals. For more details, please call 828.465.8660.