Catawba County News
Book Clubs for Book Lovers
April 24, 2018
As much as the library has expanded the role of education, technology, and personal development, we will always love a book club!
To readers, few things compare to being able to share your impressions with other folks and talk about plot, character development, believability, likeability, author voice, and all those other elements that inspire passion and give rise to individual opinion.
The library supports several reading clubs at various branches and locations, and we always encourage people who are interested in particular genres to join a club and add their voice to the debates and discussions – no invitation necessary.
The following groups meet regularly and welcome newcomers:
- Mystery Mavens Book Club keeps a focus on nail-biting mystery and suspense novels, so if your nerves are up to it, this is the club for you! The group meets the first Tuesday of the month at the Sherrills Ford-Terrell Branch Library at 6:30 pm.
Tuesday, May 1 at 6:30 pm, discussing Orient by Christopher Bollen.
- Southern Pens Book Club keeps loose reins on what they read. As long as it’s a good book and provokes good conversation, they’re on board. This group meets the second Saturday of each month at 10 am at the Main Library in Newton.
Saturday, May 12 at 10 am, discussing Ghost of the Innocent Man by Benjamin Rachlin.
- Piece of Cake Book Club focuses on compelling fiction and meets in locations that offer sweet treats to buoy the discussion. The group meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at 3 pm. Please call 828.465.8664 to find out the meeting place for May.
Tuesday, May 22 at 3 pm, discussing News of the World by Paulette Jiles.
- Books Between Friends is a convivial group that looks to popular fiction for its engaging reads. The club meets at the Claremont Branch Library on the fourth Tuesday of odd-numbered months, so participants get extra time to find and complete each session’s book.
Tuesday, May 22 at 6 pm, discussing Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.
- Un Corazón Lector is an active group that focuses on reading Spanish-language novels. The club does not have a specific meeting day, but if you are interested in joining, please contact the library and we can put you in touch with the group coordinator.
Sunday, May 27 at 5 pm at Zahra Baker Park, discussing Mujeres victoriosasby Jessica Dominguez.
If you’re interested in joining any of these clubs, contact the library at 828.465.8664, and we’ll connect you with the right people and information. And remember that you can reserve the book club’s chosen novels each month so that you have the selection on hand. We’re happy to help!