Birth Parent/Adoptee Search
Catawba County offers the services of Confidential Intermediary to:
- An Adoptee over the age of 18 whose adoption was through any North Carolina DSS.
- A biological parent of an adult adoptee.
- An adult biological sibling of an adult adoptee.
- An adult biological half sibling of an adult adoptee.
- An adult family member of a deceased biological parent.
An adult family member of a deceased adoptee.
For more information about Confidentiality Intermediary Services, please contact us at (828) 465-8901.
- Provide initial consultation regarding Catawba County Social Services’ policy on Confidential Intermediary Services
- Includes a search for birth parents or for an adult adoptee by conducting an in-house record review and use of Internet
- Ascertain that person’s willingness to share identifying information or have contact with the applicant.
- Provide the intermediary services needed to ensure all parties are addressing the psychological and social issues in a healthy and productive manner
- Obtain a copy of a death certificate of the person who is the subject of the search and deliver it to the person requesting services (applicant is responsible for the cost of the death certificate).
- Search for a family member not included in the Standard Services
- Facilitate contact if both parties agree.
- Continue to provide the intermediary services needed to ensure all parties are addressing the psychological and social issues in a healthy and productive manner.
- Referral to counseling agency should additional therapeutic counseling be requested or needed.
- Consultation with a social worker regarding information on the Confidential Intermediary Program.
- Provide picture ID with proof of age and other appropriate documents of identity and relationships.
- Complete and sign Application, Agreement, Consent to Release Information and Release of liability.
- Initial fee is due at time of Application.