The Catawba County Detention Facility is located on the Catawba County Government Campus in Newton. Captain Boston is the commander of this division and may be reached at (828) 465-8999.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Visitation hours are Monday-Thursday 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm and 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm, Friday 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm, Saturday 9:00 am - 11:00 am and 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm, Sunday 9:00 am - 11:00 am, and 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Visitors must register with Homewav
- Visitation must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance
- Visitors may schedule by visiting www.homewav.com , using the homewav app, or calling 1-844-394-6639
- The inmate must approve of the requested visit prior to the visit
- Visitors who do not arrive for the scheduled time will forfeit the weekly visit
- You must provide photo ID when you arrive for your visit.
- Inmates are allowed one (1) fifteen-minute visit per week
- Attorneys may visit any day from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm.
For a fee, you can have additional visits from your home anytime that the inmate is out on rec time. The inmates know their schedule, so they can let you know when they are out. Visit www.homewav.com to set up an account and for additional information.
You may write a letter to the inmate at the address below or visit www.homewav.com to send a one-minute video message for a small fee.
Catawba County Detention Facility
PO Box 385
Newton NC 28658
Letters must be written on white paper (except legal mail). No glitter, crayon or colored drawings will be accepted. Mail will be scanned and viewable by the inmate on the inmate kiosk. The letter will be given to the inmate if it is in compliance with the facility mail policy. Any greeting cards sent to an inmate will be scanned and viewable on the inmate kiosk. The card will be placed in the inmate's locker.
The inmate will not be given any incoming general mail envelopes. Return addresses should be written in the body of the letter as well as on the envelope.
The Sheriff's Office is not responsible for mail items that do not arrive at our facility or items sent out once the item leaves our facility.
As inmates are booked into jail, they are added to the “Who’s in Jail” page of our website. Visit http://injail.catawbacountync.gov/WhosInJail/ for more information.
The telephone service is provided by Pay-tel. Visit www.paytel.com to set up an account.
Inmates who are completing a sentence will know the day that they are scheduled to be released. The exact time may vary. There is a phone available to the inmate in our lobby that they may use to contact you upon their release.
In order to accurately check for a warrant, you must provide your full name and date of birth to the desk officer.
- Inmate property will only be released between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm.
- Inmates must sign a release prior to the property being released.
- Inmate clothing will not be released.
- Contact the Burke/Catawba District Confinement Facility at 828-438-5435
- You may mail a US Postal Service money order for the inmate's account. No other type of money order is accepted.
- You may deposit money in the ATM in the Detention Facility lobby. The ATM accepts cash and credit cards.
- Visit www.jailpackstore.com
- Yes. Visit www.jailpackstore.com for more information.
- You may bring medications (in original containers), glasses, or books (limit 1 per day) for an inmate
- Books must be soft cover and reasonably sized
- Magistrate’s Office: 828 695-6119 (Newton) 828 327-9093 (Hickory)
- District Attorney’s Office: 828 695-6110
- Clerk of Court: 828 695-6100
- Probation: 828 466-5653
- Catawba County Sheriff’s Office: 828 464-5241
- Burke/Catawba District Confinement Facility: 828 438-5435
- Newton Police Dept: 828 465-7430
- Hickory Police Dept: 828 328-5551
- Conover Police Dept: 828 464-4698
- Claremont Police Dept: 828 459-7865
Visit http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/calendars/CriminalQuery.html, where you can search for court dates in any North Carolina county.