Contact Information

  • Donna Hicks Spencer, Register of Deeds
  • (828) 465-1573
  • Contact via email
  • Main Location:100 Government DriveDepartment C Newton, NC 28658
  • (view all county locations)


Marriage Records

Visit our General Information page for information about how to request a copy of a marriage certificate, including who may make the request, required ID, and fees.

Marriage Application

Applications may be completed at the Register of Deeds office between 7:30a.m and 5:15p.m. Monday through Friday. Appointments are required prior to 8:00am and after 4:45pm. The fee for a marriage application is $60.00.

Applications may also be submitted online.

Online Marriage Application

Proof of Requirements for a Marriage Application

Couples must personally appear at the Register of Deeds Office. This should be done together, but if either party is unable to appear due to hospitalization, prison, or military reasons, you will need to contact our office for further instructions. Appropriate documents will be sent to you or can be picked up at our office.

  • PHOTO ID: Both must present an in-hand physical issued current picture ID with name and birth date (copies of any kind will not be accepted). Accepted forms of ID include:
    • Driver’s license
    • State issued ID card
    • Passport
    • Military ID
    • A Matricular Consular or an Instituto Federal Electoral can NO LONGER be accepted (NCGS: 15A-306/HB318)

If you do not have any of the above, please contact our office where we will then ask questions to see how we can best assist you.

  • SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: Both must present a valid Social Security Number on an in-hand physical issued Social Security Card or an official permanent record showing your SS# or a notarized Affidavit / Spanish Affidavit that indicates you are not eligible to receive a SS#. If, and only if, you are not eligible for a SS #, you will need to provide an additional ID through an in-hand physical Certified Birth Certificate, the mentioned Affidavit / Spanish Affidavit, and an in-hand physical issued valid picture ID that meets the same requirements as above. These in-hand physical documents will be considered as options to prove your SS#:
    • W-2 or Filed Tax Return (neither which can be more than 5 years old or an electronic copy);
    • Insurance card or a High School transcript with signature and title by authorized school official;
    • A letter or printout that states your SS# on letterhead from your bank with signature and title of bank official; or
    • The in-hand physical printout of your electronic W-2 accompanied on letterhead from payroll stating this is your official W-2 with signature and title by authorized company official.
  • BIRTH CERTIFICATE: If either party is a NON-US Citizen, both parties are required to bring Birth Certificates.
    • OUT OF STATE BIRTH requires to be a CERTIFIED COPY.
    • In the State of North Carolina requires to be at least an uncertified copy.
  • DIVORCE/DEATH RECORDS: If applicable, both will need to provide a stamped filed copy (does not have to be certified) of their last divorce judgment papers signed by the Clerk or Judge, if filed by the Clerk or Judge in United States, or a copy of the death certificate of their previous spouse. NOTE: Ifthe divorce took place prior to 1988 in NC, allow time for Clerk's Office to retrieve a copy from Raleigh. If recorded outside of the United States, divorce papers and death record, are required to be certified copies.
    1. OUT OF STATE DEATH then a CERTIFIED COPY is required. This only applies to your last marriage and is required regardless of how long ago this happened. You will find this change across the state because it's important and necessary to know that the divorce has been properly finalized. These documents can be found in the county and state or country that the death or divorce took place. Sorry for the inconvenience this will cause, but the following websites will be able to assist you in locating your information.
      1. IN the STATE of NORTH CAROLINAdeath certificates are recorded in Register of Deeds' Offices in which information can be found at At the Welcome statement click on "please click here"
      2. IN the STATE of NORTH CAROLINAdivorces are recorded in the Clerk of Court's Office in which information can be found at click on the county you need and then to the left click on Court Telephone Directory.
      3. OUT of STATE offices for either can be located at
      4. OUT OF COUNTRY death or divorce records are required to be certified copies.
    2. If you have taken your maiden name back since your most recent divorce, you need to provide the stamped filed legal documentation of such regardless of how long ago it took place. This may have been included in your divorce papers or you may have filed separate papers entirely.
    3. Hospital records or photocopies of required documents will not be accepted in place of original documents.
  • You must present a certified Birth Certificate.
  • The parent or legal guardian must also be present and present legal documentation to prove that they are the parent or legal guardian.
  • Parent or legal guardian may be required to produce certified copy of court orders.
  • You are required by law to have a court order authorizing us to issue a marriage license.
  • You must present a filed original or a certified copy of such court order.

You cannot marry in the State of North Carolina

  • Divorced
    1. Applicants who have been divorced must provide the month, date and year of their last divorce.
    2. Applicants must also provide a copy, filed original or certified copy which depends on if filed within the United State of not, of the divorce decree of their last divorce regardless of how long it ended.
    3. Females/Applicants that took back their maiden name must present original or certified copy of such judgment which may or may not be within divorce decree.
  • Death
    1. Applicants whose previous married end due to death must provide the month, date and year of their loss.
    2. Applicants must also provide a copy or certified copy which depends on if filed within the United State of not, of the death certificate of such record regardless of how long ago their loss occurred.

You’ll need a certified copy of your marriage license in order to change your name on your Social Security card and driver’s license. It is best to wait at least 10 (ten) days after the ceremony to allow time for your license to be returned and on record here at the Register of Deeds.

  • Click here to see how to apply for a copy
  • Present received certified copy of your marriage license along with other required documentation to your closest Social Security Administration office. Once applying for a new Social Security card make sure to retain your certified copy.
  • After allowing 24-36 hours for the above change to be updated in system then you may go to your closest Department of Motor Vehiclesand present the same certified copy of your marriage license again making sure to retain your certified copy once you have completed your name change.