Catawba County Public Health is committed to fostering career development and community involvement through internship and volunteer opportunities. Areas of past experience have included communicable disease, dentistry, nursing, environmental health, community health, health education, health promotion, school health, home health, and nutrition.
If you’re interested in pursuing an internship or volunteer opportunity with Catawba County Public Health, here are some important things to consider:
- While we strive to fulfill as many requests as possible, internship and volunteer opportunities are limited. Usually our schedules fill up eight weeks in advance of each semester. Therefore, we encourage you to apply as far in advance as possible.
- Because we receive multiple applications for internships and volunteering, we may contact you for an interview or other information to help guide our selection process.
- When you apply, it’s important for you to communicate your requirements for an internship/volunteer experience as well as what you’d like to get out of it. This is especially important as we work together to create the best experience for you.
How to Apply
Please complete the following steps:
- Complete and submit this application form.
- After you have submitted the application, e-mail a copy of your school’s internship requirements* to PHinternships@catawbacountync.gov.
(*If you are requesting a volunteer opportunity that is not affiliated with an official school internship, please e-mail a letter explaining this to the same address.)
Internship and volunteer requests will not be considered until these two steps have been completed. You will receive an e-mail verifying receipt of your information.
Note: If you are accepted for an internship or volunteer experience with us, you may need to ensure you are in compliance with any background checks, drug screenings, or insurance policies that may be required in conjunction with your participation as an intern or volunteer. You will be notified if these or any additional requirements are needed before your participation can begin.
Once your application has been processed, we will notify you if you have been accepted for any available internship/volunteer opportunities. Due to the high volume of requests we receive, please refrain from contacting us to follow up on your request.
Because we cannot provide an internship or volunteer opportunity for every applicant, we encourage you to also contact other organizations in our community – such as hospitals, nonprofits, human service agencies, animal shelters, schools, or other Catawba County departments. There are many great opportunities to gain community service and health-related experience in Catawba County!